ISHRS Member Since : 1999
ISHRS Annual Meetings Attended: 17
Dr. Keene is President of Physician's Hair Institute in Tucson, AZ. She has personally performed over 2000 hair restoration surgeries. At Dr. Keene’s clinic you will receive her attention throughout the surgery, along with her experienced staff.
Dr. Keene's clinic uses high magnification microscopes and video-scopes in graft dissection, custom cut blades, follicular unit grafts, DFUs, lateral and longitudinal incisions, trichophytic double layer closure, etc. For details on Dr. Keene’s surgical techniques, go to www.hairrestore.com.
In 2008, Dr. Keene is elected to the board of Governors for the ISHRS, a member of the Annual Scientific Committee, appointed to the Evidenced Based Task Force committee to promote statistically significant evidence based research in hair restoration,and appointed to the CME Committee.
In 2007, Dr. Keene was the Chair for the 15th annual Scientific meeting of the ISHRS. She continues to help instruct newcomers to the field, and mutually share information with her colleagues.
Dr. Keene is the medical director of Hairdx.com, a company that provides the first genetic test to consumers to help assess their genetic risk for developing androgenetic alopecia. This is the first step in identifying those who can benefit from medical treatment before their hair loss progresses.
In addition, Dr. Keene has been an active participant in the European Society of Hair Restoration Surgery conferences, and the Italian Society of Hair Restoration Surgery conferences. Doctor Keene consulted for the AZ Board of Medical Examiner’s, reviewing cases on hair transplant surgery in 1999, 2000, 2004 and 2005.
American Board of Surgery Certified
Provider and Instructor, Advanced Trauma Life Support, American College of Surgeons, 1986-1991
Diplomate, National Board of Medical Examiners, 1985
Provider, Advanced Cardiac Life Support, American Heart
Tucson Medical Center, Department of Surgery, Postgraduate Trauma Training
University of AZ, Tucson Hospitals Surgical Residency, Tucson AZ, General Surgery (served as chief surgical resident in her final year of residency)
Dr. Keene has presented lectures and demonstration of follicular unit grafting and techniques(formerly referred to as micro grafts) to and with her colleagues, including the following:
• She was invited as a member of the faculty for the 2008 ISHRS conference in Quebec, Canada, where she served as moderator on the discussion of density.
• Dr.Keene is author of a column called Cyberchat hair transplant on the ISHRS forum reviewing patient care and clinical case experience for 2008.
• Dr. Keene was appointed to the Continuing Medical Education (CME) Committee of the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery for 2006, as well as the Surgical Assistants Executive committee.
• The International Society of Hair Restoration Surgeons' conference in Sydney, Australia in August, 2005, where Dr Keene gave 7 lectures on her techniques.
• The 2005 Italian Society of Hair Restoration Conference in Modena, Italy, where she was awarded the Ghirlandina award.
• The 2004 International Society of Hair Restorations Surgeons conference in Vancouver, Canada, where she was awarded a certificate for outstanding effort and contribution in co-directing the Basics in Hair restoration Workshop
• The 2004 Italian Society for Hair Restoration in Torino, Italy where she was awarded a plaque entitled “Peaks in Hair Restoration”
• The 2003 Italian Society of Hair Restoration Surgery in Rome, Italy, where she lectured on “Improving the Efficiency of Megasessions with New Instruments for Dissection and Placing” and “A New Effective Ergonomic Method for Magnification, Video Magnification on LCD monitor.” She was also awarded "The Mouth of Truth Award."
• The 2003 European Society of Hair Restoration Surgery conference in Berlin, Germany, where she was given a certificate in appreciation for her participation as faculty.
• The 2003 International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery in Orlando, Florida, where she lectured on “Surgical Instrumentation”
• The 2002 Italian Society for Hair Restoration Surgery, in Florence Italy, where she lectured on “Innovative Surgical Technique” and “Hair Loss in Women.” Here she was the recipient of the Michelangelo Award in Hair Transplant surgery.
• The 2002 European Society of Hair Restoration Surgery in London, UK where she demonstrated her surgical technique, and use of the multi recipient site scalpel. She was awarded a certificate of appreciation for demonstrating her surgery technique.
• The 2001 European Society of Hair Restoration Surgery conference in Barcelona, Spain, where she lectured on the “Advantages in the use of a Multi-bladed Recipient Site Scalpel.” She also gave the keynote presentation on “State of the Art Medical Therapy of Androgenetic Alopecia in Men and Women.”
• The 2001 International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery conference in Syracuse, Italy, where she discussed the topic of “Predicting Density with Follicular Unit Grafts”; and again presented her multi recipient site scalpel.
• The 2001 World Hair Society Conference in Florida, where she lectured on “Improving the Visualization to Dissect White/Gray Hair;” “Patient Consultation” in the Beginner’s Workshop; and participated in the live surgery presentation of “Follicular Unit Grafting,” demonstrating this technique. She was awarded the “International Archimedes Award for Hair Restoration.”
• The 2000 European Society of Hair Restoration Surgery conference in Istanbul, Turkey, where her lecture topics included “Estimating Graft Numbers to Achieve Density with Follicular Units,” and “Improving the Visualization to Dissect White/Gray Hair.”
• The 2000 International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery conference in Hawaii, where she lectured on “Patient Consultations” in the Beginner’s Seminar, and presented the Multi-Recipient Site Scalpel for improving the efficiency of follicular unit megasessions.
• The 1999 International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery conference in San Francisco, where she was an instructor in the Surgic