ISHRS Member Since : 1994
Dr. David Perez-Meza FISHRS
Fundador y Director Médico
Cirujano de Trasplante de Pelo
Selected for the 2007 ISHRS Platinum Follicle Award (One of the highest awards by the ISHRS (International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery) that a hair transplant surgeon can receive.
The ISHRS is the leading authority on hair loss and restoration with more than 1,200 members throughout 60 countries worldwide.
The winner of the 2007 Platinum Follicle Award from the ISHRS, Dr. David Perez Meza recognizes the value of his more than thirty research studies relating to hair loss and his background as an aesthetic plastic surgeon to benefit his patients. He feels it’s important to offer his patients the cutting edge of medical and surgical treatment and his vast experience and research studies help him to integrate a total approach (medical and surgical) to achieve the mutual goals he shares with his patients.
Dr. Perez Meza has received 10 research grants awards from the ISHRS, 8 as a first author and 2 as co-author. The research studies included: Wound healing of the donor area following FUE donor harvesting technique, Hair growth and survival of donor harvesting with FUE technique, the use of laser Doppler for the evaluation of the blood flow of the scalp, techniques to optimize the wound healing of the donor area including the in apparent scars, healing and surviving of the hair grafts after being transplanted in the scalp, storage solutions to increase hair growth and survival, the dense packing technique and its impact in the hair growth and survival. The use of low level laser therapy in hair loss in scarring (lichen plano pilaris, pseudo pelade of Brocq) and non-scarring alopecias (androgenetic alopecia, alopecia areata) and for decreasing the pain and tightness of the donor area following hair restoration surgery, the use of Custodiol solution for storing the hair grafts during hair transplant surgery, etc.
Dr. Perez-Meza graduated from the Military Medical School in Mexico City after he specialized in Plastic, Esthetic and Reconstructive Surgery at the General Hospital in Mexico City. He retired with Lt. Colonel status in 1996 after serving the Mexican Army for 26 years.
As plastic surgeon and hair restoration surgeon, he has applied his 30 years experience in the art and science of plastic surgery to hair transplant surgery, utilizing his unique combination of skills to create a result that is as natural as the patient’s original hair pattern.
His experience and surgical skills for many years as plastic, aesthetic, and reconstructive surgeon with variety of reconstructive and cosmetic patients, with normal and damaged skin help to Dr. Perez-Meza to apply his knowledge in hair restoration surgery
As a patient with hair loss and having hair transplant procedures himself, he understands his patient’s expectations and concerns. He knows that every patient is unique and he customizes his skills for helping his male and female patients. He also is passionate about his surgical techniques to improve patient’s results.
In 2001, Dr. Perez-Meza was the 1st Hispanic Diplomate of the American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery (ABHRS), he served as member of Board of Directors (2006-2013) and the written and oral examination committee of the ABHRS.
After attending the 1st Orlando Hair Transplant Live Surgery Workshop OLSW) in 1995, he applied and was accepted as Hair loss and Hair Restoration fellow of Dr. Matt Leavitt, Medical Hair Restoration and the World hair Society from 1996-1997 in Orlando, Florida. Dr. Perez-Meza joined the OLSW faculty and Scientific Committee in 1997. From 2001 to date he has been the Co-Chairman of this worldwide and attended congress. He is grateful to be part of this excellent meeting that is recognized as the best in the hair restoration community and also for its knowledge and friendship. Learning, teaching, fresh and open camaraderie are some of the most important aspects of the meeting. The OLSW meeting celebrated its 20th anniversary in 2014.
Dr. Perez-Meza has been the author and co-author of journal articles and textbooks (Hair Transplant 360-Dr. Lam’s Editor, Unger-Shapiro Hair Replacement and Low Level Laser Therapy) and has also appeared on television and radio interviews as a hair loss and hair restoration surgeon expert. In addition, he has done clinical studies for Allergan, Kerastem, Merck, Pfizer, Histogen, Lexington International, Apira and Procyte with regards to hair loss and hair restoration. His studies have been published in the Dermatologic Surgery Journal, Hair Forum International and other important journals and chronicles during his career.
He was Director (1997-2001) and Co-Director (2001-2008) for Medical Hair Restoration/ISHRS and the World Hair Society of the Physician Fellowship Program. During this time he trained more than 30 doctors in hair restoration.
He also travels around the world speaking about hair loss, hair restoration, and clinical research.
Lt. Col. (Ret) David Perez-Meza MD
• Founder, Medical Director and Surgeon
• Hair Transplant Surgeon
Diplomate, American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery (2001 to date)
• Hair Transplant and Hair Loss Fellowship, Medical Hair Restoration, USA
• Plastic, Aesthetic and Reconstructive Residency, General Hospital “SSA” Mexico City, Mexico
• Doctorate in Medicine, Military Medical School, Mexico City, Mexico
• Fellow and Board of Governors member of the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ISHRS)
• Diplomate and Past-Board of Directors, American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery
• Chairman of the Ethics and Bylaws Committee of the ISHRS
• Co-Chairman of the Orlando Live Surgery Workshop-2001 to date
• Co-Chairman of the ISHRS Regional Live Surgery Workshops Commitee
• Chairman of the Workshops, 16th Annual meeting of the ISHRS, Montreal 2008.
President of the Iberolatinamerican Society of Hair Restoration Surgery
Member of the Financial Committee of the ISHRS
Member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the Hair Foundation
Member of the Mexican Society of the Military Plastic Surgeons
Membresias, diplomas, premios
• Miembro the la International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ISHRS) desde 1997 a la fecha
• Miembro de la Mesa Directiva de la ISHRS del 2010 a la fecha
• Ganador del 2007 ISHRS Platinum Follicle Award
• Presidente de la Sociedad Iberolatinoamericana de Trasplante del Cabello
• Co-Director del Congreso de Calvicie y Cirugias de Trasplante en vivo en Orlando, Florida (OLSW) desde el 2001 a la fecha
• Conferencista, Moderador y Director de Cursos del OLSW desde 1997 a la fecha
• Diplomado del American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery (ABHRS) desde el 2001
• Miembro del Board de Directors del American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery 2008-2014
• Director del Curso Basico para Principiantes del congreso de la ISHRS en el 2011 en Anchorage , Alaska
• Director de los Cursos del Congreso del 2008 de la ISHRS en Montreal, Canada.
• Ganador de 10 premios de trabajos de investigacion de la ISHRS
• Miembro Consejero Cientifico de la Hair Foundation
• Miembro de la Sociedad Mexicana de Cirujanos Plasticos Militares
• Director del Comite del Programa Pro Bono-Operation Restore de la ISHRS 2007-2014
• Director del Comite de Leyes y Etica de la ISHRS
• Co-Director del Comite de Cursos Regionales de la ISHRS
1. Perez-Meza D. Hair Line Plug Correction. Hair Transplant 360. Sam Lam Editor. 2014.Pages 663-670
2. Perez-Meza D. Management of Donor Site Necrosis. Hair Transplant 360. Sam Lam Editor. 2014. Pages 765-769
3. Perez- Meza D. Summary of Day 1 to 3. 2012 Orlando Live Surgery Workshop. Hair Forum Intl. Vol. 2 (3). May-June 2012. Pages 104-109
4. Perez-Meza D. Letter- Micropunch Technique. Dermatol Surg. 2012 Mar;38(3):512-3. 2012
5. Perez- Meza D. Letter –Skin Grafts and Hair Loss in the scalp. Derm Surg Journal 2012
6. Zimber MP, – Ziering C, Zeigler F, Hubka M, Mansbridge JN, Baumgartner M, Hubka K, Kellar R, Perez-Meza D, Sadick N, Naughton GK. Hair regrowth following a Wnt- and follistatin. containing treatment: safety and efficacyn a first-in-man phase 1 clinical trial. J Drugs Dermatol. 2011 Nov;10(11):1308-12.
7. Perez-Meza D, Shapiro R. Introduction Practical Problems and Limitations of Hair Survival Studies. In Unger W-Shapiro R’s Book. Hair Transplantation. 5th edition 2010. Pages 326-328
8. Perez-Meza D. Summary of Day 1. 19th Annual Meeting International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery. Hair Forum Intl. Vol 21 (6). Nov-December 2011. Pages 196-199
9. Ziering C, Perez-Meza D, Zimber M, Ziegler F, Nugthon Gail, Hubka M. Hair Regrowth following treatment with hypoxic cell derivated hair follicle signaling molecules; safety and efficacy in a first-in-man clinical trial. Hair Forum Intl. Vol 21 (5). September-October 2011. Pages 162-165
10. Perez-Meza D and Mayer M. Comparison of different instruments to make recipient sites: needles vs. blades. Hair Forum Intl. Vol 21 (5). Pages 168-169.
11. Stough D, Leavitt M, Perez-Meza D. Recipient Site Angulation Study. Hair Forum Intl. Vol.
12. Parsley W, Beehner M, Perez-Meza D. Studies on Graft Hair Survival. In Unger W-Shapiro R’s book. Hair Transplantation. 5th Edition 2010. Pages 328-334
13. Parsley W- Perez-Meza D. Factors Influencing Graft Survival. J of Cutaneous and Aesthetic Surgery. Vol 2. Num 3. May-Aug. 2010. Pages 69-76
14. Leavitt M-Perez-Meza D. Low Level Laser Therapy for Hair Loss. Dibernardo-Pozner’s book. In Lasers and Non-Surgical Rejuvenation. 2009. Pages 141-153
15. Perez-Meza D-Niedbalski R. Complications in Hair Restoration Surgery. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Clinics of North America. Vol 21, Num 1, Feb 2009. Pages. 119-148
16. Perez-Meza D. The Factor X. Platelet treatment maximizes hair transplant procedure. Cosmetic Surgery Times. April 2008. Pages 34-35
17. Mangubat A. and Perez-Meza D. The perfect hair restoration procedure. Cosmetic Surgery Times. April 2008. Pages 30-32
18. Perez-Meza D, Leavitt M and Barusco M. Growth Factors Part 2: The Use of Autologous Growth Factors Platelet Rich and Poor Plasma in Hair Transplant Surgery. 2007 Hair Transplant Forum in press.
19. Perez- Meza D, Leavitt M and Mayer M. The Growth Factors, Part 1: Clinical and Histological Evaluation of the Wound Healing and Revascularization of the Hair Graft after Hair Transplant Surgery. Hair Transplant Forum Sep-Oct. 2007. Pages 173-75
20. Wasserbauer S, Perez-Meza D and Chao Ron Hydrogen Peroxide and Wound Healing: A Theorical and Practical Review For Hair Transplant Surgeons. 2007 Dermatologic Surgery Journal June 2008. Pages 745-750
21. Matt Leavitt, David Perez- Meza, Naveen Rao, et ALS Finasteride 1 mg on Hair Transplantation. Derm Surg Journal. Oct 2005
22. Perez-Meza D. Wound Healing and Revascularization of the Hair Transplant Graft. Role of the Growth Factors. In Unger’s Book. Hair Restoration. 4th edition 2004.
23. Mel Mayer and David Perez-Meza Temple Points. In Unger’s Book. Hair Restoration. Marcel Decker 2004.
24. David Perez-Meza MD and John Vincent. Restoration Surgery for Hair System Users. National hair Journal. Vol 7. No.25. Spring 2003
25. Perez-Meza D. Ergonomics in Hair Transplant offices. Use of PerezMezA (PEMA) Handles ( 1cc and 3cc Hypodermic Syringes) for Blades and Needles for Making Sites in Hair Restoration. Hair Transplant Forum Intl. Vol. 13 (4). July-August. 2003. 397- 398.
26. Perez-Meza D. Orlando Live Surgery Workshop. 2003. Report. National Hair Journal. Vol 7. No. 25. Spring 2003.
27. Perez-Meza D. Complications in Hair Restoration Surgery. Hair Transplant Forum Intl. November-December, 2001.
28. Melvin Mayer, M.D., David Perez-Meza, Managing the Donor Area to Minimize Scarring. International Journal of Cosmetic Surgery and Aesthetic Dermatology, 3, (2), 2001. Pages 121-126
29. Stough D, Leavitt M and Perez-Meza D. Recipient Site Angulation Study, International Journal of Cosmetic Surgery and Aesthetic Dermatology, 3, (2), 2001. Pages 127-130
30. Leavitt M, Perez Meza D, Barusco M. Research Symposium 1999-2000: Clinical Update on Research Studies Performed at the WHS/ISHRS Live Surgery Workshop, International Journal of Cosmetic Surgery and Aesthetic Dermatology, 3, (2), 2001. Pages 135-149
31. Perez-Meza, D., Leavitt, M., Trachy, R. Clinical Evaluation of GraftCyte
Moist Dressings on Hair Graft Viability and Quality of Healing, International Journal of Cosmetic Surgery, 6(1), 1998.
32. Leavitt, M., Perez-Meza, D. Technical Advances in Hair Restoration: An Examination of the Role of the Video Microscope, International Journal of Cosmetic Surgery, 6(1), 1998.
• International Society of Hair Restoration, 1999 to date
• Orlando Hair Transplant Live Surgery Workshop, 1995 to date
• European Society of Hair Restoration Surgery. 2003-2006
• American Society of Hair Transplant Surgery, 2006 to 2008
• Polish Society of Hair Restoration Surgery, Sep 2007
• Polish Society of Plastic and reconstructive Surgery, 2007
• Brazilian Society of Hair Restoration Surgery 2006 and 2008
Mexican Society of Military Plastic Surgeons 2013
Iberolatinamerican Federation of Plastic and Reconstructive 2010
VII Bolivarian Regional Plastic Surgery meeting. 2011